My best friend came home from university over the weekend for the summer and I’m seeing her today for the first time in months so I decided to make her something special as a ‘Welcome Home’ present.
I feel like I’ve had my fill of heavily frosted cupcakes and chocolatey cookies for now, so I decided to try something that I’ve never attempted before- fudge! I adore creamy, buttery fudge in all different flavours and found a very adaptable recipe for plain fudge then decided to work from that.
This recipe is ridiculously easy and surprisingly quick to prepare- not including the 4 hour setting time in the fridge. You can add any flavour instead of the peanut butter you want such as chocolate, rum and raisin, peppermint, anything!
- 1 cup/230g unsalted softened butter
- 1 cup/250g peanut butter- crunchy or smooth
- 4 cups/460g sifted icing sugar
- (3/4 cup extras such as chocolate chips – optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Line a square baking tin with parchment leaving enough to create an overhang in order to lift the fudge out when it’s set.
- Melt the butter and peanut butter together in a pan on a medium heat.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and the salt.
- Add the sifted icing sugar little by little until combined into a very thick mixture and fold in any extras while the mixture is still hot.
- Pour the fudge into the baking tin and smooth the top over with a leveling spatula.
- Wrap the tin tightly with cling film or foil and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours until firm.
- Once chilled, you can cut the fudge into pieces – I got two tupperware boxes full of it, and by cutting it into small cubes I got about 40 squares out of it!
This recipe is so simple and doesn’t require any complicated baking or temperature regulating; I never realised that making fudge was so easy! I’ll definitely be making loads of more of these in the future as little gifts for friends, although I’ll have to restrain myself from snacking on it as it must be such a calorie fest! Have a go at making this gorgeous indulgent treat for friends or even for yourself, you deserve it!
Have a lovely Monday!