Ginger is the ultimate Christmas festive flavour; it’s so warming and spicy, I absolutely love anything that contains ginger at this time of year. I wanted to create a cupcake recipe that tasted like gingerbread and managed (after several attempts/eating gingerbread all morning) to get a pretty close comparison!
Ingredients Needed for Cupcakes;
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves/all spice
- 3 tsp golden syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for around 3 minutes until fully incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time, taking care to fully mix before adding the next.
- Next, sift in the flour in several parts until you have a smooth batter, then add the spices to your taste- I love ginger so added slightly more than this recipe but I have suggested 2 tbsp as a generalisation.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake in the centre of the oven for around 15 minutes, until a knife comes out clear from the middle.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack while you get started on the icing.
Ingredients Needed for Icing;
- 250g unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- Mini gingerbread men
- Cream the butter first and then add the icing sugar in parts, mixing with a little milk as required to make a smooth consistency.
- Mix in the ginger, then fold in some mini gingerbread sprinkles if you have any (as I did).
- Using an icing knife, spread onto the cooled cupcakes. Break the mini gingerbread men in half and use some icing to secure them to the top of the cupcakes.
- You can also use more sprinkles to add to the decoration, and voila!
These cupcakes are so easy to make and you can adjust the spices to your liking, although I have to admit that I love to overpower on the ginger. Just a word of warning- the spices will intensify in the oven with cooking so be careful with that!
Lots of Love,