For Christmas I usually make a couple of recipes that I give to people as presents, and meringue kisses are on the list because they’re so simple to make plus they’re absolutely adorable- LOOK AT THEM! They’re like something out of a Dr Seuss book or something!
- 75g caster sugar
- 75g icing sugar
- 3 tsp red jam- I chose cherry
- 3 medium egg whites
- Red food gel
- Beat the eggs on a medium setting until they are frothy and hold a soft peak.
- Mix the sugars in a bowl and add them in 3 parts to the egg mixture, then whisk on a high setting for around 5 minutes until stiff peaks are formed and the mixture is glossy.
- Heat the oven to 100C and line two baking trays with parchment.
- Mix the jam with the red food colouring to create a vibrant candy stripe colour.
- Turn a piping bag inside out and spread the jam mixture in stripes along the inside with the back of a spoon.
- Turn back the right way and add the meringue mixture, then pipe onto the baking parchment in confident blobs, quickly flicking the bag upwards to create the iconic peak- like tiny wizard hats!
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approximately an hour, until the meringues are hollow and crispy on the outside yet still soft on the inside.
- Turn the oven off, then leave to cool with the oven door open and pop into cute bags when you’re ready- or eat them all!!
This recipe is so versatile- you can add colouring and flavouring as you desire, such as peppermint with green candy cane stripes or strawberry without any stripes. They look so adorable and are utterly more-ish!
Lots of Love,