If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ll have noticed that I’m a huge fan of making foods miniature- especially desserts. Last year I handmade loads of Christmas presents including mince pies using my mini cupcake tray as the mould. Of course, you can use a standard size cupcake tray and little dishes to make these mince pies but I just think there’s something so cute and more-ish about them being this size! I can make about 40-45 per batch with this recipe, depending on how I decorate the top and how sparing I am with the pastry.
- 1 jar mincemeat (I use the Tesco brand)
- 1 pack of shortcrust pastry, ready to roll
- Butter to grease
- Mini cupcake tray
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C and grease the cupcake tray with a little butter on some kitchen roll.
- Prepare the pastry according to the packet- I heat mine in the microwave for 10 seconds and leave to stand for 1 minute before unrolling, this is the quickest way to use the pastry from chilled.
- Using a small round cookie cutter, cut circular pastry bases and push down into each well of the cupcake tray.
- Empty the jar of mincemeat into a bowl and mix to loosen slightly. I added some caramel to give my mini mince pies a little twist but it’s perfectly delicious without this!
- Put a teaspoon of mixture into each well of the cupcake tray, being careful not to overfill too much as this will lead to them leaking and exploding into a big gooey mess in the oven- you don’t need this, trust me.
- The next step is optional based on personal preference- you need to make little tops for each mince pie. I chose a tiny star cutter to make my tops, but you could make them rounded and covering the entire mince pie as I did last year, it’s all down to personal choice!
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown, and repeat until all the pastry and mixture have been used up.
- Using a small knife, remove from the cupcake tray while still warm (being careful not to burn your hands) and leave on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Give to friends and family for Christmas, or enjoy them all to yourself with a cup of tea and a Christmas film!
I think these are just so adorable and they really do go down like a house on fire- maybe not the best metaphor to use on a baking recipe post but there we go! They’re so easy given that you’re using pre-made ingredients, if you have the extra time to make it all from scratch then massive kudos to you!
Lots of Love,